Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Character Design

I have been slowly revising my concept for my thesis. Long story short - I want to do an animation that deals with the issue of losing touch with authentic experiences due to the digital world. I am coming up with a concept for a story but it's not quite clear in my head yet. I do have a character evolving in my head and I did many sketches today trying to figure out where I am taking it. I also tried digitally inking one of them. This is the first time that I did that- it could use a lot more finessing and I think that the issue I had with this one is how I scanned it in, but other than that I am optimistic about this technique. The line quality was greatly compromised here- and I can go on and on about what went wrong with the inking process, but it's definitely a "first attempt".










4 comments:

The Weekend Warrior said...

jess i love your drawings!

they remind a bit of that tv show 'Hey Arnold!', stylistically. did you ever see that one? i always thought that show had superior art than other cartoons of the period.

http://bgavideo.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/hey-arnold.jpg

Tall Dave said...

Is that Molly Hayes in those sketches? Go Runaways!

Gillian Fisher said...

that girl with all the teeth totally looks like someone I'd want to avoid if I were walking down the halls of my high school...

Jess said...

Thanks for your comments guys! Josh- yes I loved Hey Arnold. I definitely have the eyeball thing going on. I didn't even realize it. Dave- no I never knew of the Runaways, I just went to check them out. Gillian, I am sad to say that everyone seems to feel that way about my big mouthed girl. I really liked her. I am now trying to really decide how digital to go- whether i should continue with the pencil and digital color look or do like the day 2 drawings.