Monday, January 28, 2013

Design Feedback for Badge Systems

Last week I participated in a workshop for Digital Media and Learning grantees. Everyone at the workshop presented their progress on creating open badge systems for their organization. It was my role during the workshop to act as a design expert, to give feedback on the projects and help facilitate a conversation about the design elements of their work.  Over the course of 2 days, I listened to detailed presentations about badge system design, learning theory and communication plans and realized that some themes were emerging. For today's post, I thought that I would share my 5 most common bits of feedback that I gave out to the grantees.



1.    Get to know your end-user
Take the time to think through your user persona and user flows. Remember that you have a specific human using your product and they are receiving the badges that you create. Get really specific here and come up with a user story and test that against your designs. 
For example: My user's name is Adrian, he is 18 years old and enjoys reading Science Fiction books, riding his bike and exploring New York City. He is participating in this after school program because he has a passion for math and has felt relatively uninspired by his in-school options. He does this program on Wednesdays after school and has already earned badges for peer mentoring, leadership and problem solving. These are particularly meaningful for him because he wants his peers to know that he is not only a smart guy, but really has street cred in the math community. He posts his badges both in his school LMS and on his personal Facebook page.

From my example, we can already learn a few things that will help inform some design decisions. We know he is doing this work as an extracurricular activity, so we want to frame the work as informal and we know that he is more interested in the social capital that he gains from this experience outside of the classroom and school community, so he is invested in the badges being flexible and shareable. 
You probably will have 3 or 4 types of users for any given product. Embrace that and come up with unique user stories that are based on real life use cases.

2.    Badges and identity
Think about how your badges communicate or enhance an end-users identity. This might seem like an obvious one, but it's crucial to think about how the end-user relates to the badge on a personal level and how that might inform their identity, both within the context of your tool or badge system design and outside of that framework in the real world. On a simple level, think about how might be naming the badges and ask yourself - does this have resonance with the badge recipient? What is more appealing "CSS 101 badge" or "CSS Super Styler"? Think about how this relates to the visual design as well, are you offering something that would have more significance to your organizational brand than to your users brand or identity? If so, then I would recommend reviewing the design and iterating.



3.    Badge design 
It's important to remember that 90% of the badge system design is not visual. Take the time to go and think through all of the touchpoints for badges and ask yourself "are they meaningful experiences?" and if they are meaningful - who are they meaningful for? Once you past that test, then you can move on to visual design. I gave a webinar on this about a month ago and put the slides up on a Google Doc here

The top level things to consider are legibility, scale and typography. Open badges are relatively small graphics, so think about that when you are designing them. Reduce the amount of graphic complexity as much as humanly possible. Ask yourself if you even need to incorporate text into the badge - because this adds an additional layer of content that a user needs to digest. I pull this point out separately because I don't think that text is needed because the backpack and/or system distribution could include that information alongside the badge, giving you the opportunity to free up your design. Badges are like icons, you need to attempt to communicate as much as possible with the fewest elements as possible.


4.    User Testing 
How can you engage your community in user testing and analysis? Can you think of ways to work in a more agile way- incorporating feedback and testing so that you are putting out releases that build on your learning and findings from fieldwork and testing?  All of the questions that you have about your design will be acknowledged the second that you have someone who is unfamiliar with your project review your work.
And, as part of the DML/ MacArthur/ HASTAC / Mozilla community- you can ask us for help. Yeah you have a grant deliverable, but you have a community right here who are asking themselves the same design questions and are a perfect user tester. That said, I would take the time to mix up your user tests - have friends and family, but also include complete strangers. 

Remember, user testing can be as informal as throwing two badge designs in front of a user and asking them which one they prefer and why. Don't be intimidated by the term user testing - in reality, what is more intimidating is putting out a product that will be used by hundreds of people that has not been tested.

5.    Metrics and dashboard Data
My final bit of feedback has to do with how you are valuing success but more importantly about how your end user values success, learning and skill acquisition. Many of the dashboard type tools that I saw were actually speaking to how an institution or organization values success within a Learning Management System (or badge system, or tool etc.) but not how the end - user values success. So for example, the tool was designed for the high school teacher instead of the high school student. Remember that success and metrics is something that can be shared and communicated to users as part of their experience within the product offering and it is an opportunity to help a user challenge themselves to level up or exceed both your and their expectations. In terms of design, this might mean that you should consider surfacing some of this data. 

Design needs to constantly be iterated upon, however, if done correctly it will be a huge contributor to the success of your badge system design. So go forth, and design with courage. Use this top 5 list as tools in your arsenal to help you craft a meaningful user experience.

40 comments:

David Gibson said...

Love the focus on the user, Jess! I got some badges the other day in a system that were "surprises" to me, which lowers their meaning just a little, because I didn't intentional work for them. They just appeared out of nowhere. So a possible "sixth element" that plays off of your great points is to involve the user in choices about the badges and allow those choices to serve as goals for badge acquisition.

Carla Casilli said...

Jess,

This is such an insightful post: I find point number 3 to be particularly resonant. It's complicated because ultimately badges are inherently visual communications and yet the content that they represent defines a good deal of their value.

Thanks for providing a focusing lens into a potentially blurry area.

And to David, I would suggest that "stealth" badges as they are known, can prove to be tremendously effective and delightful inspirations. The surprise factor alone can serve to encourage play and investigation, as well as reinforce learning experiences.

Khaled Shariff said...

This is very good. I was thinking a little about semiotics... I think we want a little text ...but I will try without as the central image will be unique. Thanks. :) I will... Try. :)

Doug Belshaw said...

This is great advice, Jess. I'll be referring back to this a lot, methinks! :-)

Jess said...

@David - I love that "sixth element" - I agree, I think that there is a piece to badge design that is about creating a meaningful conversation with badges. Which makes me think that - a badge is not a destination but a playable piece (so to speak) in the narrative around skill acquisition. I agree with @carla that the stealth badges provide a good forum for the conversation (just trying to extend that metaphor).

@Khaled- I know, believe me, I know how difficult this is - but iterate as much as you can, and user test it. If it doesn't work, then come up with a solution that does work for you, but remember that the nature of badges are such that they are seen in context. So your badge will be displayed next to a Girl Scouts badge, that is next to a Mouse badge.

@Doug, thanks

@CharlesUpTop said...

Thanks for the cheat sheet, Jess! This'll help us get our bearings as we're in the thick of badge iteration.

Anonymous said...

Today, I went to the beach with my children. I found a sea shell
and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear."
She placed the shell to her ear and screamed. There
was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear. She never wants to go back!
LoL I know this is totally off topic but I had to tell someone!


Also visit my website - halter

Anonymous said...

Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though
you relied on the video to make your point. You clearly know what youre talking about, why throw away your intelligence on just posting videos to
your weblog when you could be giving us something enlightening to read?


my web site ... strec

Anonymous said...

Hi. I noticed your website title, "Blogger: JESS KLEIN" does not really reflect the content of your web-site.

When composing your blog title, do you believe
it's best to write it for Website positioning or for your visitors? This is one thing I've
been battling with simply because I want good rankings but at the same
time I want the best quality for my site visitors.

My web site; bitmarks.soup.io

Anonymous said...

Two schemes have become very popular recently is the Mediterranean
diet and perder peso con un programa de dieta es la del mantenimiento despus de una dieta .
Como Bajar De Peso Un ejemplo de una
estafa de dieta es la "pastillas de bloqueo de grasa y carbohidratos." Esta oferta
de dieta se causada por fibra te ayudar a detener tus antojos de comida.


Consejos de dieta comidas pequeasEs mejor comer pequeos bocadillos o comidas muy ligeras mientras trabajas
peso de Isabel de Los Rios, puedes verla aqu ahora!
Como Bajar de Peso Estafas
de dieta. Todos hemos odo hablar de ellos y algunos de ellos se han intentado sin
xito. Sin embargo, en la mayora mtodo real para adelgazar en poco
tiempo!

Fort Max Diet - um site El verdadero secreto detrs de una dieta exitosa
es aferrarse a lla. gruesome Si no cumples
con tu necesidad diaria de nutricin, puede llegar a estr
dbil, cansado, agitado, estresado, e incluso tener
dificultades para concentrarte. del porque las dietas de moda no son saludables.
Also see my web site: Como Bajar De Peso

Anonymous said...

Consejos de dieta # 2 Aumenta tu consumo de fibraLos alimentos ricos en fibra te ayudar en muchos aspectos.
No slo las fuentes de alimentos integrales menos 3,5 kg!
dietas para bajar de peso Consejos de dieta
# 6 Bebe ms aguaEl que te mantengas hidratado no slo mantiene tu cuerpo funcionando correctamente, sino que
tambin iz Terrijine knjigeo vitaminih, mineralih in ostalih hranilnih snoveh.



La dieta es muy simple. Durante tres das, vantagens efeito rpido
e duradouro, aprovado pela anvisa h muito
mais disposio do internauta. bajar de peso Al echar un vistazo a los fundamentos
de varias de las dietas relativamente baratos, y son una inversin en su salud.

Anonymous said...

Today, while I was at work, my cousin stole my
apple ipad and tested to see if it can survive a 30 foot drop, just so she can be a youtube
sensation. My apple ipad is now destroyed and she has 83 views.
I know this is entirely off topic but I had to share it with someone!


Also visit my web-site blog

Anonymous said...

Awesome article.

Have a look at my page: let me watch this

Anonymous said...

printed in addition to which you junior get hold of a attractive who has fifty percent from suppliers speedier have - it appears as if [url=http://www.christianlouboutinshoessaleus.com]black shoes with red bottom[/url]

through based on lovers red sole shoes ought to be . Since they a person ,christian louboutin sandals are a great way . Indeed since you clubs is one of the are different from [url=http://www.christianlouboutinshoessaleus.com/christian-louboutin-women-christian-louboutin-peep-toe-discount-1_27.html]christian louboutin very prive peep toe[/url]



Searching for any boots available for wedding planning always is wishing for rules. Listed below are essentials to make note of while discovering your primary engaged and getting married trainers. Decide on the christian louboutin uk shoes and boots for an individual too. Fail to receive athletic shoes that allows your trusty feet grooving also known as boots and shoes making all of your legs tighten. Opt for the correct sizing with care to aid you merely to walk for the is now with peace.

You may also like:[url=http://www.christianlouboutinshoessaleus.com/christian-louboutin-women-christian-louboutin-pumps-discount-1_3.html]gold christian louboutin pumps[/url]

Anonymous said...

EboMfiZvbWso [url=http://adidas51.webnode.jp/]nike エア[/url]CqeDdzCuzUls [url=http://nikeonline.blog.fc2blog.net/]nike sb[/url]KnzMesBfvYhj [url=http://nikeair350.blog.fc2.com/]ナイキシューズ[/url]NoaBcqMnoRzq [url=http://nikeshose.blog.fc2.com/]スニーカー nike[/urlDcuRhyYynFhk [url=http://nikeonlie11.blog.fc2blog.net/]ナイキ[/url]KdgEnePjmMlq [url=http://ナイキシューズ.seesaa.net/]nike free[/url]QlpFfdWqjVoz [url=http://シューズナイキ.seesaa.net/]free nike[/url]IxtDamUtkBmj [url=http://nikeair11.seesaa.net/]スニーカーナイキ[/url]GdpLtxTkbSqd [url=http://niker.seesaa.net/]スニーカー nike[/url] IayAedLjySkw [url=http://nikeshose11.blog.fc2.com/]ナイキ フリー[/url]QdgRzjXfeIgh

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! Impressive article dude! Thank you, However I am having
troubles with your RSS. I don't understand the reason why I can't subscribe to
it. Is there anybody else having similar RSS issues?

Anybody who knows the answer will you kindly respond? Thanks!

!

Look into my site: watch tv

Anonymous said...

geotorelxz debt consolidation loan
credit card consolidation
low rate loans

Anonymous said...

I use а raspberrу kеtones program. It alsο
аllоws produсtіon of hormonеs from
bеcoming toxic and hard. Pгaсticing strengthеnіng exеrcises for cyclistsRide Your Bikе; Lοse Some Weіght Eliminating Roadblocκs to raspbeгry kеtonеsIf
rasрbеrry ketοneѕ is thе
world cаn hypnotize him. Α triple combinаtіon of infοrmаtion to, уοu're doing, it takes to acquire this product either. And Vivus, after dropping this 20 minute tabata program might not have Side effects of the lungs, thereby leveling the weight and maintain the weight loss.

Check out my web blog - Ketoneraspberrytips.com

Anonymous said...

The cheеse would be melted and bubbly, but most
еffеctive of all the tοрpings would not be burnt.
At minimum fifty one % has to be com, though basically up to seventy five% іs usеd.

Carry on eleven miles, and watch meticulously foг the іndіcation to
Laupahoehoe Рoint Seaside Рaгκ on the suitable.


my ωebsite - 350.com

Anonymous said...

Ιt is reallу а chef's phrase for 'а site foг all the pieceѕ anԁ evеry littlе thing
in its plаce'. These elements are commonly spotted in all variations of properties, even those that usually are not meant to be 'gгeen'. Material markers have even been made use of and can be very helpful to touch-up the parts on the sneakers in which the shade did not take (the seams notably).

Check out my web-site ... old stone oven 16 round pizza stone

Anonymous said...

Woah! I'm really enjoying the template/theme of this site. It's simple,
yet effective. A lot of times it's very hard to get that "perfect balance" between superb usability and visual appearance. I must say you've done a fantastic job with this.

In addition, the blog loads super quick for me on Internet explorer.
Outstanding Blog!

Review my website porcelain bathroom tile

Anonymous said...

Ηeу Ι κnow thiѕ іs off toρic but I was wondering if
уou knеω of аnу widgets I сould аdd tο my blоg that
аutomatiсally tweet my nеwest twіtteг updаtеs.
І've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

My web site buy omega 3 capsules

Anonymous said...

I constantly spent my half an hour to read this webpage's articles daily along with a mug of coffee.

My page - Marketing promotions approach

Anonymous said...

can i attract my wife this, she is ignoring me

my weblog; dating advice for guys over 40

Anonymous said...

What's up, its pleasant piece of writing on the topic of media print, we all be familiar with media is a enormous source of data.

Here is my webpage; vigorelle ingredients

Anonymous said...

Hey there! This is my 1st comment here so I just wanted to give a quick
shout out and say I genuinely enjoy reading your posts.
Can you recommend any other blogs/websites/forums that deal with the same topics?
Thanks a ton!

My website; Skinception Eyelasticity

Anonymous said...

Hurrah! After all I got a weblog from where I be able to
really get valuable data regarding my study and knowledge.


My web-site; Http://Www.Youtube.Com/Watch?V=UVyxml5N0Wo

Anonymous said...

I visited multiple websites however the audio feature for
audio songs current at this site is genuinely excellent.


Also visit my web site - just click the next website

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any issues
with hackers? My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended
up losing a few months of hard work due to no backup. Do you have any solutions to protect against hackers?



Review my blog post defined

Anonymous said...

This paragraph will assist the internet viewers for building up new web
site or even a blog from start to end.

Here is my page - linked resource site

Anonymous said...

Good write-up, I'm regular guest of one's website, preserve up the pleasant work, and
It is going to be a frequent guest for an extended time.


Take a look at my homepage money home ()

Anonymous said...

Touche. Outstanding arguments. Keep up the amazing effort.


Check out my web blog - loss libido

Anonymous said...

Wow, fantastic weblog structure! How long have you ever
been running a blog for? you made running a blog look easy.
The whole glance of your site is magnificent, as neatly as the content!


Check out my blog post skinception demefface

Anonymous said...

Every weekend i used to go to see this web site, because i wish for enjoyment,
for the reason that this this web page conations genuinely fastidious funny
material too.

My blog post - herbal male enhancements

Anonymous said...

Its like you read my mind! You seem to grasp so much
about this, such as you wrote the e-book in it or something.
I feel that you just can do with a few percent to pressure the message house a bit, however other than that, this is magnificent blog.

A great read. I will certainly be back.

Have a look at my webpage: TattooMeNow (sns.huangyidong.com)

Anonymous said...

Hmm is anyone else having problems with the pictures on this blog loading?
I'm trying to find out if its a problem on my end or if it's
the blog. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.


Here is my weblog; rosacea diet

TestimonialsFor Testifor said...

Feedback Management System to help gather Customer Testimonials and Reviews. Learn more about the TestimonialsFor Customer Feedback Software.

Feedback Management System

TestimonialsFor Testifor said...

TestimonialsFor Build your customers confidence with trustworthy reviews Give your customers full transparency with the real social identity of the reviewers and their level of expertise because we trust our social community and experts.
Feedback Management System

TestimonialsFor Testifor said...

Collect testimonials, reviews and feedbacks from your customers easily using simple Customer Feedback Software on your website. Set up real-time ... Customers love giving reviews if it’s simple and fast.
Customer Feedback Software

TestimonialsFor Testifor said...

Collect reviews and feedbacks from your customers easily using simple Customer Feedback Software on your website. Set up real-time ... Customers love giving reviews if it’s simple and fast.

Feedback Management System